If you had upgraded your iOS device to iOS 11.1 as soon as it came out and then later you discovered that it’s not up to your expectationsthen you must be looking for the opportunity to downgrade back to the previous iOS version. If you plan to downgrade to iOS 11.0.3 or iOS 11.0.2 while the OS is still being signed by Apple, here are the steps that you need to follow.
- If you’re not running latest iTunes version on your Mac or PC then you’ll have to do that first now. So, upgrade iTunes and also grab the IPSW files for the relevant version of iOS to which you want to downgrade your device. When you have the file with you, continue to the next step.
- Next, you have to prepare your device for the downgrade so that the process works successfully. Open Settings app on your iPhone/iPad that you want to downgrade and go to Find My iPhone in iCloud section. Make sure that it’s turned off. Remember, iCloud password will be needed to turn it off if it’s not already.
- Now, connect your iOS device to Mac/PC with the help of a USB cable that came with your device. Also put the device into Recovery or DFU Mode. For iPhone models earlier than iPhone 7, you can hold down Home and Power buttons together and hold for 10 seconds. Release power button as soon as Apple Logo shows up while keep holding the Home Button until you get a message from iTunes that a device has been detected in Recovery Mode. The process, however, differs for later iPhone models.
- If you’re using Mac, hold Option key before selecting Restore iPhone in iTunes. If you’re doing it from your Windows PC, you’ll have to hold Shift key and then select Restore iPhone. You’ll be prompted now to select an appropriate IPSW file stored on your machine locally.
- Select IPSW file for iOS 11.0.3 or iOS 11.0.2 that you had downloaded earlier.
The process will be initiated by iTunes now and the firmware will be installed on the device that you have connected. Once the installation is complete, you’ll have to go through a familiar process of setting up your device for first time use. Set it up and start enjoying the older version that you have been missing for some time on your iPhone/iPad.