The home screen of your iPhone/iPad is the first thing that you interact with when using your deviceand it needs great degree of personalization to make it feel your own. But what do you really refer to when you say customizing iPhone? Is it just changing the wallpaper of your iPhone/iPad? Probably, not! There is, in fact, a lot more to it that you can do to customize your device. You can organize apps on the homescreen of your device so that you can be able to find them easily or you can create folders of apps falling in the same group to make it easy for you to find them. So, let’s get into how you can tweak things around and try a few tricks for customizing your iPhone or iPad Home Screen.
Jump To Section:
- Changing The Wallpaper On iPhone/iPad Home Screen
- Moving The Apps On Home Screen
- Moving Apps Between Different Home Screens
- Customizing Your iPhone By Moving Apps To New Home Screen
- Deleting Apps From The Home Screen
- Creating Folders For Similar Apps On The Home Screen
- Renaming The Home Screen Folders
- Adding Apps To The Folders On Home Screen
- Removing Apps From An App Folder On Home Screen
- Deleting Entire Folders From iPhone/iPad Home Screen
- Restoring Home Screen Of Your iPhone/iPad To Its Default Layout
Changing The Wallpaper On iPhone/iPad Home Screen
The wallpaper on Home Screen that your iPhone/iPad comes with is the one that Apple sets by default. However, it can be changed anytime as you like for customizing your iPhone and you can replace it with something from the Apple’s gallery. You can pick one from amongst different motion wallpapers that you have in the gallery or can select one of your Live Photos that start animating as soon as you touch them with 3D Touch. Here is how to change the wallpaper on your iPhone/iPad screen.
- Open Settings right from your device’s Home Screen.
- Tap Wallpaper
- Tap “Choose New Wallpaper” option.
- Tap new wallpaper’s location from where you’d like to choose one. Here are the options you can choose from:
- Dynamic: Circles the float around your screen and initiates responses as a result of your device’s motion.
- Stills: Images gallery from Apple.
- Libraries: Contains images that are part of the Photos app, including your Live Photos and selfies.
- Live: Gallery of the Live Photos from Apple. These photos also animate when 3D touched.
- Now tap the image that is intended to be used.
- If default settings are not what you want, you can adjust the options as mentioned below:
- Move & Scale: In case if you are choosing a photo of your own, it can be slid around and pinched for zoom-in and zoom-out so that you can frame it as you like.
- Motion: Choose Still if you want the image to have no motion effects whatsoever, perspective if the image is intended to move slightly, and Live Photo in case you want it to animate with 3D Touch.
- Now tap on Set.
- Finally, tap on Set Home Screen if you’re looking to change wallpaper of your iPhone/iPad Home Screen, or you can select Set Both for changing wallpaper on Lock Screen as well.
Moving The Apps On Home Screen
You can also move the iPad apps on Home Screen of your device in order to arrange them as you like. Here is how:
- Touch the icon of the app that you want to move and hold it with your finger until edit mode is activated (icon starts jiggling).
- Now you can drag the desired icon and take it to the new location as intended.
- Lift the finger to let it go.
- Now you can click Home Button for exiting the edit mode.
Moving Apps Between Different Home Screens
When you are customizing your iPhone, app icons can be moved to different screens too. For instance, you may like to put all the games you have on your device together on same screen. Here is how to do that.
- Tap the icon of the desired app and hold it till edit mode activates.
- Now drag the icon to the desired Home screen by moving left or right until you reach the desired location.
- Let the icon go and drop it on desired place.
- Now click on Home Button to quite edit mode.
Customizing Your iPhone By Moving Apps To New Home Screen
When keep downloading new apps, new Home Screens are created by the iOS as soon as the older ones become fully occupied. However, additional screens can be created whenever you may like. Here is how you can do that.
- Tap the icon of the app and hold it to activate edit mode where icons start jiggling.
- Drag icon of the app that is intended to be moved towards right until right-most screen gets to focus.
- Keep going to the right for creating new Home Screen.
- When on the new screen, let the icon go so that it finds its place on new screen.
- Exit the edit mode by clicking Home Button.
Deleting Apps From The Home Screen
If you’re done with one of the apps that you have downloaded to your iPhone/iPad, you may want to delete it from the Home Screen. Here is how you can be able to do that.
- Tap the icon of the app that you want to delete and hold it with your finger until you activate edit mode.
- Now tap on Delete button that appears like ‘X’ and is present towards top left side of app icon.
- Tap Delete for confirmation.
- Finally, click on Home Button and exit the edit mode.
The app can be re-downloaded if you later want to have it back on your iPhone/iPad.
Creating Folders For Similar Apps On The Home Screen
One of the handy features of iOS is that it allows you to combine similar apps in same folder on the Home Screen. It not just creates more space to accommodate other apps on the same screen but also allows for easily finding the apps when you’re looking to launch one. Here is how you can create these folders.
- Tap the icon of the app that you want to put in a folder and hold it until edit mode is activated.
- Now, drag the icon of the app into the folder that you see above the icon of some other similar app that you want to group it with.
- Just let the icon go now and it will find its place in the new folder.
- You can tap the name of the folder to change it to whatever you may like.
- Now exit the edit mode by clicking on Home Button.
- You can tap outside that folder or the Home Button for returning to Home Screen.
Renaming The Home Screen Folders
As mentioned earlier, it is possible to rename folders that you create on your iPhone/iPad Home Screen. Here is how to do that.
- Tap on desired folder that you intend to rename.
- As it opens, tap some app icon inside and hold it until edit mode is activated.
- Now tap of folder name for editing it. (You can also tap the ‘X’ button for wiping the name out and start typing the new one.)
- Enter new name for the folder. (You can use emojis in folder name too.)
- Tap Home Button for exiting the edit mode.
Adding Apps To The Folders On Home Screen
Once you have created a folder on the Home Screen of your iPhone/iPad, it is possible to add as many apps as you like. Your folders can contain all the messaging apps or puzzle games, for instance. Here is how you can add apps to the existing folders on the iPhone/iPad screen.
- Tap the icon of an app and hold it until edit mode activates.
- Now drag desired icon of the app to the desired folder for putting it inside.
- Let the app icon go and it will be placed inside the folder.
- Tap Home Button and exit the edit mode.
Removing Apps From An App Folder On Home Screen
If you have mistakenly added an app to the wrong folder or you just want to remove the app from a certain folder, you easily pull app back out. Here is how you can be able to do that.
- Tap on folder that contains your desired app which you have to move outside it.
- As it opens, tap the icon of the app and hold it until you get into the edit mode.
- Now drag the icon of the desired app out of that folder and take it somewhere else on Home Screen.
- Now let the icon go so that it can find its place on Home Screen
- Tap Home Button and exit the edit mode.
Deleting Entire Folders From iPhone/iPad Home Screen
It is also possible to delete an entire folder from the home screen of your iPhone/iPad. Just keep it in mind that when you do so, all the apps that are contained inside that folder are also removed in this process. Here is how you can remove folders from the Home Screen of your device.
- Tap on folder that is intended to be deleted.
- Tap an icon of the app and hold it until you activate edit mode.
- Now drag that icon outside that folder and take it somewhere else on Home Screen.
- Let it go now and drop the icon on the Home Screen to the desired location.
- Repeat the same process for every single app that you have inside that folder.
- Click Home Button and exit the edit mode.
As soon as you have moved all the apps that were there inside the folder, the folder will be removed automatically.
Restoring Home Screen Of Your iPhone/iPad To Its Default Layout
Customizing your iPhone Home Screen is something great but, on the off chance, if you somehow get tired of the custom layout of the Home Screen, you can get back to default settings anytime you may like. Here is how you can be able to do that.
- Open Settings from Home Screen
- On the Settings screen, tap General
- Tap Reset option that you see at bottom of the screen
- Tap ‘Reset Home Screen Layout’
- Now confirm by tapping ‘Reset Home Screen’ once more
That’s all, your iPhone/iPad Home Screen will get back to default layout again as it was when you first started using it.
Your iPhone/iPad is a fully customizable device and you can choose to customize Control Center, Siri and just about everything else including Home Screen. There are lots of different options you can try for customizing your iPhone or iPad Home Screen and give it your own personal touch.